Our final few days in Waikiki

Waikiki, HI

Wednesday, July 10, 11 & 12, 2013

Wed 10th

I woke up early and so I headed to the gym. I caught up with the boys later on for a walk up towards Diamond Head. We then headed down to breakfast where the boys ate their fill before taking some stand up paddle board lessons. We spent the rest of the morning on the beach before strolling along the shops in the afternoon.

Dinner was at our favourite Teppanyaki restaurant ‘Tanaka of Tokyo’. We have eaten there on our previous two trips to Hawaii and it did not disappoint . We even had the same chef as last time! Much fun was had trying to communicate with the Japanese couple sharing our chef for this meal. Although they seemed to see more humour in my poor attempt, still after many years, of trying to use chopsticks.

Thurs 11th

We’d been a bit disappointed by the breakfast offerings at the Moana so decided to take cereals in our room. We had a lovely setting for this though as our balcony offered views over the beach and up towards Diamond Head.

The morning was spent back at the beach and the boys hired a stand up paddle board to practice their newly acquired skills.

We headed to the Ala Moana shopping mall in the afternoon to do a few final bits of shopping.

It’s hard to book a restaurant here at the moment given we are here in peak season so we headed next door to Dukes for dinner but had to opt for a table in on the deck and choosing from the bar menu as the wait for the main restaurant was just too long (an hour and 15 minutes!)

We drifter home then but Mark and I went down to the Banyan Tree courtyard to check out the evening entertainment. Jimmy Borges was performing with band and orchestral support and it was quite a spectacle to behold in this outdoor setting.

Fri 12th.

It’s more of the same here today on our final day: early to the gym for Mary followed by a walk with the boys. Breakfast on our balcony and then more lazing on the beach. The boys hired some surfboards for an hour which exhausted Mark but at least one heavy fall for him cleared out his recently blocked ear so it wasn’t all bad going for him!

We had been disappointed by the food at the Moana so, for lunch, we decided to try the Royal Hawaiian next door. This turned out to be a good move as there were more dishes on offer and especially more for any health conscious folk. The dishes we had were very tasty and greatly appreciated.

We spent the afternoon back at the beach and then headed back to the room to pack up a bit before heading out to ‘Roy’s’ for dinner. Dinner was great and we then headed home via Haagen-Dazs for some dessert.

Our flight leaves tomorrow, Saturday, at 12.35 pm and puts us back home in Sydney at 7.20pm on Sunday evening.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.